Applicants that are married to US citizens do not have to wait as long as other lawful permanent residents to apply to become US citizens.  You can apply for naturalization after three years of obtaining your lawful permanent residency, rather than five years if you are married to a US citizen, where he or she has been a US citizen for at least three years, and you and your spouse have lived in marital union for three years immediately before filing their application.  An experienced immigration attorney will help you decide the necessary evidence you need to prove the residency requirements with your spouse.

Applying for Naturalization When Married to US Citizen

An immigration attorney will help you weigh the risks and benefits in applying for naturalization.  An immigration attorney can help you obtain a background check and a check of your immigration file before you apply to try and anticipate any potential issues in your case.

Eligibility Requirements for Naturalization:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have good moral character for the statutory period
  • Be a lawful permanent resident
  • Meet the residency requirements

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) takes naturalization very seriously and you want to make sure that it is done correctly.  Our experienced immigration attorneys at Dummit Fradin can help guide you through the process to help you obtain the ultimate goal of becoming a US citizen. Contact us today to schedule a consultation in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, or High Point.