Immigration Attorney McCathern Painter discusses immigrants who have had the misfortune of being victims of qualifying violent crimes and have now decided to cooperate with law enforcement. These immigrants are given a U Visa, temporary legal status, which allows them the opportunity to live, work, and drive in the United States for 4 years. They can even apply for their green card after 3 years provided they meet all the requirements. The length of time a work authorization takes to obtain is entirely reliant upon the agencies doing the processing but sometimes takes up to a year. The authorization, however, is valid for the entire remainder of the U Visa status. If you have any questions or think you might know someone who qualifies for a U Visa, give one of our experienced Immigration Attorneys a call!